Shire of York

Shire of York

Thursday 12 October 2017

DAVID TAYLOR’S- PRESENTATION TEXT

‘Thank you to AVRA for organizing this meeting. Thank you all for coming and I now pay my respects to the Balladong people.

I spent my formative, acne years, in Toodyay, living there from 10 to 19.

I went to Northam High School, playing for the First 18, and First 11, becoming a Prefect and graduating with a distinction average.

My career choices were going to University to study Economics, or to Mount Lawley Teachers College.

I made a totally different choice- a long career in the print media with
WA Newspapers Holdings Pty Ltd.

In 2005 my wife Lorraine was chosen as the new branch manager of Westpac and she and I moved to York.

 We have always thought it was a great choice.

As a private citizen I have fought for local government open and transparent democratic processes over the past nine years, writing to numerous politicians and dozens upon dozens of articles.

I first became aware there were underlying problems, in the Shire of York, when I was asked to be the Parliamentary Research Officer for the Avon.

This was in 2005

I will not bore you with the extent of these accusations.

In July, 2014, I received a brown paper parcel placed on the door step at my Perth address.

This was the controversial Fitz-Gerald Report - suggesting that there was an unacceptably toxic atmosphere in York- between members of the Shire and
the public.

There was sufficient evidence of truth in the accusations.

I read it- and met a newspaper colleague at a coffee shop

On July 24, 2014, the West Australian published the article ‘York Council could probe former Chief’- naming the former CEO and others.

The rest is history.

Most things, at the Shire, have improved over the past year.

That is why I am here as a candidate for a seat on the Shire of York Council.

Should I be elected, I will be cooperative, collaborative and use my best endeavours to be an effective member of Council on behalf of the York community and its ratepayers.

I acknowledge that Local Government Councillors and councils do have a varied and difficult community improvement assignment to deal with that is becoming more important as the 21st Century progresses.

As a support mechanism I believe, in certain circumstances, the use of properly constituted local advisory committees to assist Council in being a socio-economic driver. In particular, when there are members of the community who have the obvious skills required to make well informed recommendations

Recently I revealed a significant- extremely negative- financial difference in Local Government Area domestic property rating between York and others.

This will be scrutinized in the 2018, Local Government Act 1995, Review.

It should result in the Local Government Act 2019- to more adequately reflect
what is required of a modern, local government administration after 24 years of change.

Already- how the Shire copes with its finances and its internal and public audits will be now viewed and reviewed by the Auditor General’s Department.

But foremost, it is in the hands of Local Councillors who are mandated to make decisions on behalf of their electors.

If I am elected, and this does not happen, I will not be a shrinking violet in asking why not.

This will include demanding that the administration explains directly to us all, why they are unable to fix the past financial mistakes, other than by robbing Peter the ratepayer to pay Paul and numerous contractors with dubious qualifications.

This should not have been part of the deal when the CEO’s KPI’s were set.

Some will ask- seeing you do not currently live in York why should I vote for you?

In 2012 my wife Lorraine’s mother, who lived in Perth, was diagnosed with deadly Asbestosis.

Lorraine wanted us to care for her mother during this traumatic time.

Since she passed we have taken care of Lorraine’s elderly father, who has medical conditions that would not allow him to safely stay in York.

But our family home is here.
The skills I could bring to the Council table are positive, transparent community communications, in the ratepayer’s interest, so questions can be asked with a guaranteed answer.

I have political, constitutional, and local government governance research knowledge, so I can ask pertinent questions to be answered by the administration.

I also have major corporate business acumen and administration skills which are significantly higher than any local Shire.

Some say the two, local government and private business, cannot be equated.

When it comes to financial risk they certainly can. An example is the YRCC Bar & Café which could best be described as a local government/ ratepayer owned private enterprise that is a commercial failure.

Lorraine and I owned, and I ran, a successful 4.5 star rated Bed & Breakfast at Northam for four years. This gives me some insight into the problems facing the tourism industry in York.

It is something I like to call locality tourism, meaning the best use of what could be defined as natural assets within the shire precinct.

These are the water aspect provided by the Avon, the potential for expanding an ‘Extreme Sports’ arena such as Mount Brown and the vast potential of the York Race Track, the oldest inland track, and its surrounds- that is one of the most attractive in Australia

During my career I have sat on the ‘The West Australian’ newspapers Editorial Board of Management, the Northam Tourist Bureau, Essential Personnel (assisting people with disabilities to obtain mainstream employment) and
the York 175th Anniversary Committee.


Though apolitical I took on the role of interim President of the Northam Branch of the WA Liberals to ensure the survival of the branch.

Briefly here is how I stand with the current controversies in this Shire.

No- I do not want a tip near York.

On Tuesday Questions on Notice were read out in the Legislative Council by Robin Chapple MLC, compiled by me, in an attempt to kill off the project.

Other than threatening to chain myself to the Allawuna Farm gate there is little more that I can do without being on council.

Regarding the sale and massive costs of repair of the Convent School, the matter has been placed in the hands of the appropriate regulatory authority.

It is now wait and see!

My position on the YRCC is that a special liquor licence be granted to a
syndicate of Sporting Clubs as required in the best interest of all sports.

The café should be closed and used as a kitchen by the sporting clubs should they see fit.

I am advised that the decision to hire two staff by the Shire of York to assist two managers at the Bar & Café was undertaken without the knowledge of some Shire Councillors.

There should be a public demand to know who made the decision given there is a suggested take-over time frame of July 1, 2019.

Overall I intend to ensure the Shire of York--- never again has a list of finance and administration- ‘Extreme Risks’- against its name’.

Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment